- LIFESTYLE (competition shows based on lifestyle topics such as design, food and food preparation, house & home, etc.)
- DOCUSOAP (Lighter docureality fare, including celebreality, and 'soap opera'-styled situations, where characters are followed in a 'fly on the wall' manner)
- DOCUREALITY (Grittier subject matter, more topical and can also pertain to professional activities)
- DOCUFORMAT (Constructed reality, or social experiments)
- ARCHIVE-BASED PROGRAMMING - Non-fiction programming that uses archive material as a primary source of footage/content. Can be one-offs or series.
- ARTS & CULTURE - Non-fiction programs concerned with themes and/or subject matter focusing on issues, trends or individuals within the arts and culture sphere. Note that variety shows and special arts awards programming is not considered eligible. Can be one-offs or series.
- ENVIRONMENTAL/NATURAL HISTORY - Non-fiction projects concerned with themes or subject matter relating to the environment, wildlife, nature and natural history. Can be one-offs or series.
- HISTORY/BIOGRAPHICAL - Non-fiction projects concerned with historical subjects, and biographies of historical figures. Note that for "living history" programming, entrants may consider other categories in the factual entertainment sub-genres that they feel may be more appropriate. Can be one-offs or series.
- SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - Non-fiction projects concerned with themes or subject matter relating to science, popular science, technology and medicine. Can be one-offs or series.
- SOCIAL ISSUES/CURRENT AFFAIRS - Non-fiction projects concerned with themes and/or subject matter dealing with social issues (can be one-offs or series), and non-fiction projects with subject matter pertaining to current world affairs that are either one-offs or part of a strand. Please note - if submitting a current affairs project that is part of a strand, please identify the project and the date it first aired within the strand.
(Note - all lifestyle-oriented competition shows should be entered into the competition/lifestyle category)
- HEALTH & WELL BEING
- HOME (RENOVATION, ETC)
DIGITAL & BRANDED CONTENT
- BRAND-FUNDED PROGRAM - Non-fiction or factual entertainment programs, either one-offs or series that have been fully or partially funded by brands. The brands, or products, should be primary funders and not one of several integrations or sponsors within the programming, and the programming should also demonstrate an authentic inter-relation between the brand/product and the subject matter. Can be broadcast, cable, or web content.
- MULTI-PLATFORM PROJECT - A non-fiction or reality project that has distinct yet inter-related components spread across several media platforms - television, mobile, online, games, etc.
- WEB SERIES/PROGRAMS - A non-fiction or reality series or program/documentary made specifically for a web portal, or available exclusively online.