- TALENT/STUDIO-BASED (Competitions shot in studio that focus on a particular talent or skill of contestants - singing, dancing, etc.)
- LIFESTYLE (Competitions that are framed within lifestyle-oriented situations, such as cooking, home renovation, fashion, etc.)
- REALITY GAME (Competitions shot in reality-style formats, which can take place in professional or 'in-the-field' settings)
- GAME/QUIZ SHOW (In-studio game show formats that utilize challenges and/or tests of skill and/or knowledge as part of the game play)
(Note - all reality competition shows should be entered into the competition/reality game category – entries entered into the wrong category will be disqualified from the competition)
- DOCUSOAP (Lighter docureality fare, including celebreality, and 'soap opera'-styled situations, where characters are followed in a 'fly on the wall' manner.
- DOCUREALITY (Grittier subject matter, more topical and can also pertain to professional activities)
- CONSTRUCTED REALITY (Program or series that examines the actions or behaviors of individuals within the construct of a social experiment, situational template or special living environment. )
- ARCHIVE-BASED PROGRAMMING - Non-fiction programming that uses archive material as a primary source of footage/content. Can be one-offs or series.
- ARTS & CULTURE - Non-fiction programs concerned with themes and/or subject matter focusing on issues, trends or individuals within the arts and culture sphere. Can be one-offs or series. Note that variety shows and special arts awards programming are not considered eligible.
- CRIME & INVESTIGATION - Non-fiction projects concerned with themes and/or subject matter dealing with stories of criminal activity and/or the investigative efforts that ensue thereafter. Please note - if submitting a crime and investigation program that is part of a strand, please identify the episode title and the date it first aired within the strand.
- ENVIRONMENTAL/NATURAL HISTORY - Non-fiction projects concerned with themes or subject matter relating to the environment, wildlife, nature and natural history. Can be one-offs or series.
- HISTORY/BIOGRAPHICAL - Non-fiction projects concerned with historical subjects, and biographies of historical figures. Note that for "living history" programming, entrants may consider other categories in the factual entertainment sub-genres that they feel may be more appropriate. Can be one-offs or series.
- SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - Non-fiction projects concerned with themes or subject matter relating to science, popular science, technology and medicine. Can be one-offs or series.
- SOCIAL ISSUES/CURRENT AFFAIRS - Non-fiction projects concerned with themes and/or subject matter dealing with social issues (can be one-offs or series), and non-fiction projects with subject matter pertaining to current world affairs that are either one-offs or part of a strand. Please note - if submitting a current affairs project that is part of a strand, please identify the project and the date it first aired within the strand.
- SPORTS DOCUMENTARIES *NEW* - Documentary-style series or one-offs concerned with historical or modern day sports stories, as well as biographies or profiles of athletic figures. Note that for reality-style sports programming or unscripted competition series involving sports elements, entrants should consider other categories in the unscripted entertainment sub-genres that they feel may be more appropriate (docureality, docusoap, etc.). Does not include live sports programming, game coverage or specials, or daily news coverage.
(Note - all lifestyle-oriented competition shows should be entered into the competition/lifestyle category)
- FOOD - Programming, shot either in-studio or on location, with a food focus. Can be strictly instructional, or presenter-led docu-narrative (such as a food-oriented travelogue) but food must be a central element and focus of the story. Weight-loss oriented programming in which the focus is outside of diet or food choices should be submitted in lifestyle/health & well being.
- HEALTH & WELL BEING - Programming, shot either in-studio or on location, with a focus on health, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and well being. Can feature personalities, activities and trends from within these spheres. Can be instructional, or presenter-led docu-narrative. If the program features healthy cooking/eating as its prime focus, it should be submitted in the lifestyle/food sub-category. However, if weight loss is a central component of the program and it doesn't strictly involve diet, it can be submitted here.
- HOME (RENOVATION, ETC) - Programming, shot either on location or in-studio,that has the home as its primary focus. Can be renovation/home makeover-oriented, have a real estate focus (house flipping, house hunting, etc.), or personal finance as it pertains to lifestyle and living arrangements.
DIGITAL & BRANDED CONTENT
- BRAND-FUNDED PROGRAM - Non-fiction or factual entertainment programs, either one-offs or series that have been fully or partially funded by brands. The brands, or products, should be primary funders and not one of several integrations or sponsors within the programming, and the programming should also demonstrate an authentic inter-relation between the brand/product and the subject matter. Can be broadcast, cable, or web content.
- WEB SERIES/PROGRAMS - NON-FICTION - A non-fiction program/documentary made specifically for a web portal, or available exclusively online.
- WEB SERIES/PROGRAMS - REALITY & LIFESTYLE - A reality or lifestyle series or program made specifically for a web portal, or available exclusively online.